This is a late post, as the event occurred back in April, but the information is still solid! This year, my family and I attended the Chinese Lantern Festival. It took place at the Sunset Cove Amphitheater in Boca Raton, FL, from February 24, 2017 – April 9, 2017. The event was perfect for families and anyone who appreciates learning about facets of Chinese history and culture. This review is for anyone looking to attend next year so you know what to expect.
First, there is a show which showcases different Kung Fu (martial arts) techniques. The show lasted thirty minutes and was (mostly) accompanied by a narration of the particular poses that we were witnessing on stage. At the end of the performance, the martial artists welcomed everyone on stage who took an interest in learning any of the techniques.
Now, onto the main highlight (in my opinion), which is the namesake of the festival – the Chinese lanterns. The lanterns were handmade from China, and unlike anything you’ve seen before. They portray different scenes, all of which includes animals: elephants, jellyfish, pandas, lions, etc. The placement of the lanterns are also fun, as many of the exhibits run along the lake, which makes for a perfect backdrop. Some photos are below for reference.
- Not sure if it’s offered every year, but you should first check Groupon. It can save you up to 50% off regular ticket prices.
- Yes, they have Chinese food available for purchase.
- Provided the event remains at the same location, parking was free, and within a 3-5 min walk of the festival entrance.
- You should opt for the later time as it will provide you with a better view of the lanterns.
- You should bring lawn chairs or a blanket if you intend on watching the 30 minute performance.
- There are 3-4 dinosaurs that children can ride for a small fee ($2).
Overall, it is a fun, local event for families. Not sure its worth the full ticket price, but well worth it if you are able to purchase tickets off Groupon (or obtain a similar discount), and want a family-oriented fun evening out!